- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups tomato pasta sauce with basil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pasta
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into thirds
- crusty Italian bread, to serve
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
Combine beef, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, basil, Parmesan and egg in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on large plate.
Pour tomato sauce, stock and 2 cups of water into a large, deep saucepan. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim froth from surface. Add meatballs. Return to gentle boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add zucchini and beans. Cook for 5 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
Ladle soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with crusty Italian bread.
This recipe was a huge success with children ages 5-12 at Southlake Central Market 2011 Kids Camp.
For ages 5-7: with a kid friendly knife
* dice the zucchini
* cut the green beans
For ages 8-12:
* measure the ingredients
*grate the Parmesan cheese